Tuesday, April 03, 2007

I have been deeply concerned about the plight of women in Afghanistan for many years. Since Self Storage has been out, I've felt a real responsibility to support groups that are working to improve the situation of Afghan women (I considered traveling to Afghanistan myself last month as part of a women's delegation; it ended up not being the right time for me to do so, for many reasons, but I still hope to go some day.)

MS Magazine sponsored a recent forum on Women in Afghanistan. You can watch videos of the forum here and ask your Congressperson to cosponsor the Afghan Women Empowerment Act of 2007 here.

2 comments:

Donna D said...

Gayle, are you familiar with Afghans for Afghans (http://afghansforafghans.com/)?

They send hand knitted items to women in Afghanistan. Here's a blurb from their website.

afghans for Afghans is a humanitarian and educational people-to-people project that sends hand-knit and crocheted blankets and sweaters, vests, hats, mittens, and socks to the beleaguered people of Afghanistan.

This grassroots effort is inspired by Red Cross volunteers who made afghans, socks, slippers, and other items for soldiers and refugees during World Wars I and II and other times of crisis and need. Read about the Red Cross knitting tradition.

gayle said...

That's so wonderful, Donna! I feel like maybe I had heard about this project, but I had forgotten about it--thank you so much for refreshing my memory. What a beautiful endeavor.

xo
gayle