Tuesday, January 31, 2006

I wrote the Acknowledgements section for Self Storage yesterday. It felt so good to be able to thank everyone who supported me as I wrote the book. I have to admit, this recent article about Acknowledgements in the New York Times and a subsequent--and very funny--letter to the editor from Katharine Weber (scroll down to the second one) made me question whether I should write an Acknowledgements section at all--I know my tendency towards effusiveness could be all-too-easy mocked, like the excerpts from the article, and I definitely do provide a "map" to my life, as Katharine Weber astutely mentions, but you know what...So what? I am very glad that I am able to publicly thank the people who have helped me along, plus I know how thrilled people have been to see their names in my books, so there you have it. Thank you.

No comments: