Thursday, November 17, 2005

Today is the 7th Annual Transgender Day of Remembrance.

The Transgender Day of Remembrance serves several purposes. It raises public awareness of hate crimes against transgendered people, an action that current media doesn’t perform. Day of Remembrance publicly mourns and honors the lives of our brothers and sisters who might otherwise be forgotten. Through the vigil, we express love and respect for our people in the face of national indifference and hatred. Day of Remembrance reminds non-transgendered people that we are their sons, daughters, parents, friends and lovers. Day of Remembrance gives our allies a chance to step forward with us and stand in vigil, memorializing those of us who’ve died by anti-transgender violence.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Gayle -

Thanks for mentioning this. The activities will be taking place on the 20th, which is this coming Sunday.

Unfortunately I will be on my way back to Los Angeles from Seoul, and will not be taking part in anything.

gayle said...

Hi Rachel!

Thanks for pointing out my misposting of the date--I think the 7th annual and November 17th got mixed up in my mind, even though I knew the events were happening on the 20th.

Have a very safe trip home--I've been enjoying following your journeys on your blog....