Tuesday, August 09, 2005

I spent some time at the CodePink house yesterday while my daughter was at her comedy writing class down the street at 826LA. I asked if I could be of help, and they put me to work, researching Bush's schedule and writing a press release for a planned protest in Illinois tomorrow. It feels so good to be involved.

Venice is starting to feel like our second home; this was our third time there in a week. We bought some pink salt from the Himalayas at a wonderful little corner gourmet shop (we also had a great caprese sandwich there.) I am a salt-aholic, but this salt is almost too intense; one crystal of it made my whole mouth sting. I'm not quite sure what to do with it--we definitely need to be judicious; a speck or two could season a whole pot of soup. It's gorgeous, though. I brought some to the Code Pink house, where it fits right in!

Salon has an interesting article about the right-wing backlash to Cindy Sheehan's protest. Conservative pundits like Drudge and Michelle Malkin are accusing her of "flip flopping" (which appears to be a cardinal sin in their black-and-white world.) As Salon notes, though, "It seems pretty clear that until the mess in Iraq is cleaned up, more and more Americans are going to join Sheehan in opposing the war. And the ranks of alleged flip-floppers will continue to grow."

Maureen Dowd also has a great piece about the administration's mishandling of Cindy Sheehan's vigil.

No comments: