Tuesday, July 05, 2005

In my earlier post about Deep Impact, I forgot to mention how tickled I was by the food metaphors in the on-air commentary. For awhile, the people at JPL were calling the comet a pickle. Then they briefly called it a banana. Then an eggplant. Matt thought it looked more like a potato with an eye. I thought a slightly bruised avocado was more like it.

Kelly Link writes amazing metaphors, food related and not. And now you can download one of my favorite story collections of the last few years, her fabulous Stranger Things Happen, for free here. Kelly's new book, Magic for Beginners is just out now. I can't wait to read it. I had the pleasure of meeting Kelly and her partner Gavin at BEA last year, and am so impressed with everything they do together at Small Beer Press.

No comments: