Tuesday, July 05, 2005


I hope everyone had a happy Independence Day (I personally celebrated my independence from our administration--at least philosophically and emotionally. And my interdependence with the rest of the planet.) We saw some spectacular fireworks--I am especially fond of the shimmery, sparkly, gold ones--but we saw even more amazing fireworks the night before, during NASA and JPL's Deep Impact mission. We had NASA TV streaming on Matt's computer for a couple of hours--my sister in law Sharon's boyfriend Steve is on the navigational team, and it was fun to see him on the screen, wandering around Mission Control, his long hair flapping. I got a little teary when the projectile hit the comet and burst into white light. I have to admit I have some reservations about the space program--I worry that it diverts resources that our own beleagured planet could benefit from--but at the same time, I am in awe that we as humans have figured out how to go into space. And it is truly wonderful--wondrous, really--to learn more about this universe we live in.

No comments: