Tuesday, May 17, 2005



After my real life weekend GCC convo, it's time for another virtual GCC visit. Today, our guest is Marianne Mancusi, author of A Connecticut Fashionista in King Arthur's Court. Here is a synopsis:

Once upon a time there lived an outspoken fashion editor named Kat, who certainly was not your typical damsel in distress. But when a gypsy curse sent her back in time to the days of King Arthur, she found she'd need every ounce of her 21st century wits (and pop culture references) to navigate the legend. After all, surviving a magical plot, an evil prince, and a case of mistaken identity--all without changing history or scuffing your Manolos--takes some doing!

Luckily, she's got her very own knight in shining armor, Lancelot du Lac, on her side. The honorable-to-a-fault and devastatingly handsome champion insists on helping her out, even though she's not quite sure she wants him to. After all, shouldn't he be off romancing Queen Guenevere or something? Will Kat manage to stay out of trouble long enough to get back to her beloved café lattes, cosmopolitans and cashmere? And what will Lancelot's forbidden love mean for the kingdom of Camelot?
Marianne is a multiple Emmy Award winning television news producer for WHDH-TV in Boston, Massachusetts. She has worked for news stations in Orlando and San Diego. A Massachusetts native, she currently lives in Massachusetts with her British husband Aaron and their dog Molly. She has six other adult and teen novels under contract with Dorchester and Berkley.

I had the chance to ask Marianne a few questions...

--What was the initial seed of inspiration for this novel? What inspires you in general?

I knew I loved the Chick Lit style of writing, yet I noticed the market was becoming saturated with books about single girls, living in NYC with the bad bosses, bad boyfriends, and really good shoes. Not that there’s anything wrong with these books, mind you. I’m a big fan of traditional chick lit. But I knew if I wanted to stand out from the crowd and get noticed by a publisher, I had to do something different. And since I’m such a fan of Arthurian legend and fantasy books in general, the combination seemed a good fit and something I would enjoy writing.

--Could you describe your writing process? What are you working on now?

Since I have a full time job, I wake up early and write every morning before work. It takes some discipline when that alarm clock goes off, but it's worth it.

I just finished a Young Adult vampire comedy for Berkley called "Boys that Bite" about a 16 year old girl who gets accidentally turned into a vampire (through a case of mistaken identity) one week before prom. Now she has seven days to stop the transformation before turning into a creature of the night forever. Boys that Bite will be out in April of 2006.

--Since this is a Fruitful interview--what is your favorite fruit and why?

Hmm... I'd have to say strawberries. They taste delicious, go well with ice cream (important!)and remind me that summer is on its way. :-)

--Strawberries--yes! Thanks so much for stopping by, Marianne!

No comments: