Tuesday, January 20, 2009

"In today’s sharp sparkle, this winter air, anything can be made, any sentence begun."

--Elizabeth Alexander, from her Inaugural poem, "Praise Song for the Day"

As I sat, rapt, during Obama's stirring Inaugural address, I couldn't help but notice the way the light hit the American flag pin on his lapel. Every once in a while, the sun would shoot off the metal in radiant beams, like something from a comic book or maybe religious iconography. Today's sharp sparkle, embodied. The promise of a shimmering new beginning. The restoration of glimmer to our shared stars and stripes.
"On the brink, on the brim, on the cusp -- praise song for walking forward in that light."

2 comments:

Laraine Herring said...

WAHOO WAHOO WAHOO!!!!!

I was supposed to be at work today (& I am) but I was supposed to be working instead of watching ...

WAHOO WAHOO WAHOO!!

gayle said...

WAHOO indeed!!!! :)