Sunday, November 30, 2008


Just wanted to say that things will likely be pretty quiet around here for a while--my daughter and I are packing to move to a new house (hit me up if you need my new address) and I'm gearing up to teach at the 10 day Antioch MFA residency.

I still haven't heard from my editor re. my novel Pears, and am continuing to feel very nervous about it, continuing to feel as if I turned it in too soon. I will let you know if I hear anything. I completely trust my editor's judgment, though, and know whatever feedback she gives me will help the book grow stronger, whether it ends up on her list--which of course I hope for, since I love working with her--or not. The Lincoln book has (re)taught me that a manuscript can have life beyond rejection. But I'm getting ahead of myself! I look forward to jumping fully into the revision process in my new house, where I'll have fruit trees right outside the office door.

I wish everyone a peaceful and fruitful December!

4 comments:

Kit Stolz said...

I know I'm not the only one who has his fingers crossed for you.

I wonder what you will be teaching at the MFA program...I won't be able to make it, but wish I could. Nothing quite says intensity like a writing residency.

Anonymous said...

good luck on your move. I found out recently that you went to new trier. is that right? I went there (east) graduated looong before you in'58 What a coicdence I've been cheacking out this blog every few month for a year. RH

Angie said...

Thanks for sending out a message during NaNoWriMo. I hope you participated. Unfortunately, I didn't finish my novel in time but plan on picking it back up ASAP. I love "Fruitflesh!"
One of my tasks as a librarian has been to facilitate book club. I'll be sure to suggest your latest, "Self Storage," to them. It's going on the "to be ordered" list today.

gayle said...

Thank you so much, Kit and RH and Angie! The Antioch residency was a blast, Kit--I taught a fiction workshop, plus was on a panel about the writing life with Alistair McCartney (who's on the faculty now, too) and a great new faculty member, Cheryl Strayed. I'll probably teach a seminar next time (not sure what on, yet.) And yes, RH, I did indeed go to New Trier--I graduated in 1986. Small world! :) I didn't have a chance to participate in NaNo this year, Angie, but I'm glad my pep talk was helpful. Thanks so much for ordering Self Storage for your library's book club--I really appreciate it (and am happy to meet with book clubs by speaker phone.) Good luck with your novel! :)

xo
gayle