Thursday, October 02, 2008

As we wait to verify the authenticity of the previous post about John McCain, I thought I'd offer a link to a no-authentication-needed round-up of renowned women speaking out on Palin and the election. Enjoy!

UPDATE: I decided to delete the post in question--I don't want to perpetuate untruths (even though the story still does ring of truth for me.) As a poster so wisely said, we have enough ammunition against McCain without spreading undocumented stories.

The last few weeks have gotten me seriously off-balance. I haven't felt so ungrounded in a long time. A lot of it is election-related, I'm sure (just looking at Palin and/or McCain makes my blood boil); I know now is the time to be more grounded and vigilant than ever, but I find myself feeling afraid and angry and out of sorts more often than I'd like (although the recent polls have me much more hopeful than I had been.) I'm also dealing with some confusing parenting issues right now with my 14 year old, and that plus financial stress, publishing uncertainties, and allergies that are kicking my butt have all put me in a bit of a funk. I suppose it's a good thing to be down every once in a while--I tend to skew toward Pollyanna-ish, and it's good for me to drop into my own shadow from time to time. I am seeing a lot of things I am not happy with in myself right now, and hopefully this will be a real opportunity to grow (and grow stronger.) If I want to change the world, I have to be willing to change myself, as well.

Don't worry--I know I'll be fine, and there's a lot of really great stuff going on in my life, too, but I thought I should acknowledge the lows as well as the highs.

3 comments:

winterizing said...

Gayle, when I read this post I wished I were close enough to offer you a hug . . . I too find the election throwing me off balance and the letter you posted here is thing that sent me into a "news fast" (though I did watch the VP debate). No NPR in the car; not TV; No Internet News for 5 days. It will all be available when I get back and I need, as you say, to get grounded--to feel firm earth and inhale the lusty aroma release by recent rain.

Also your post reminded me that getting through the teen years were most challenging I ever spent, and for that too I send HUGS--lots of them.
Patricia

Rachel said...

Gayle

Maybe you need to get away from the madness to solve things out. I feel so good to be 6,000 miles away from home, and even though I am sitting in a country which just put in a Republican puppet as its newest head of state, things look a bit saner nevertheless. (I've been meeting with people who think Palin is a total lunatic - and who also think California ought to keep its gay marriage legal.)

I do hope Hannah will sort herself out before too long! Growing pains...

Will get back to you as I get in touch with more reminders of Helen from the Book of Dead Birds!

Rach

Rach

gayle said...

Thank you so much, Patricia and Rachel--I am very grateful for your support. A news fast sounds like an excellent idea (I'm completely addicted to news right now, so it would be painful to break away, but very beneficial.) Getting away would be even better--I'm actually going to be in Toronto for a few days later this month; hopefully a change in scenery (and seeing my sister and her family) will be just what I need!

Thanks again!
xoxo
gayle