Tuesday, April 22, 2008


Happy Earth Day, everyone!

It seems fitting that today, I am writing an action alert for CODEPINK that addresses Jimmy Carter, thanking him for continuing to work toward peace in the Middle East.

When I was a little girl, I wrote many letters to Jimmy Carter. Most of them had to do with asking what I could do to stop pollution. I was always excited to receive replies from the White House--including a big box filled with garbage bags printed with Woodsy Owl (Give a Hoot, Don't Pollute!) and a letter suggesting I start by cleaning up my own neighborhood. I would bring those bags across the street to the Lake Michigan shoreline and pick up bottle tops and cans from the sand. It was a fairly clean beach, so the bags didn't get very full, but I still felt as if I was doing my part (and I even had a presidential mandate to do it!)

It's exciting to me to see how environmental responsibility has reached the public consciousness (although I'm sorry that our planet had to get to such a crisis point to wake people up.) Woodsy Owl would be so proud--remember: Help Woodsy spread the word, never be a dirty bird!

No comments: