Thursday, March 20, 2008

If you're interested in using your writing to make a difference, I've created a new online course for the UCLA Writers' Program this Spring (April 16-June 18): Writing for Social Change. Here's the description...

Gandhi said, "Be the change you wish to see in the world," and we also can write the change we wish to see in the world. Every voice has the power to inspire change. In this course, weekly reading assignments allow you to explore how different writers have used their work as a tool for social justice. Weekly writing assignments help you explore how your own work--be it poetry, fiction, or nonfiction--can bear witness to injustice and create a more peaceful future. By the end of the course, you produce at least one polished piece of writing in the genre of your choice. You also gain greater understanding of the power of your own voice and discover venues where you can send your work into the world (and change the world in the process!)

For more info, click here or send your questions my way. It would be great to see you in class!

5 comments:

Donna D said...

What a great class! Unfortunately I can't swing the $525 right now. Have fun!

Rachel said...

Great class!

I want to take it, except that I am already committed to Lisa Dale Norton's memoir class. Even if I can cough up the tuition, coming up with the time to take two classes will be a challenge.

I do hope you offer it again though, so that I will take it then.

Thanks!
Rach

Patry Francis said...

Wonderful, IMPORTANT idea, Gayle!

Rachel said...

I changed my mind and decided that this class will be worth taking after all, even with the additional time, effort, and money spent. (In fact, I hope this will tie in well with the memoir class, for an even better story for my character Sarah.)

I've just submitted my registration to UCLA Extension.

See you in class, Gayle!

Rach

gayle said...

Thank you so much, Donna and Patry. And Rachel--yay! I'm so excited that you'll be taking the class!!!

xo
gayle