Monday, September 03, 2007

“The more I work, the more I see things differently, that is, everything gains in grandeur every day, becomes more and more unknown, more and more beautiful. The closer I come, the grander it is, the more remote it is.”

--Giacometti

I found this amazing quote on Hillary Rettig's blog. I had never heard of Hillary Rettig before until I saw a mention on Salon.com of her book, The Lifelong Activist: How to Change the World Without Losing Your Way, which looks like a must read. You can find an excerpt here: Ten Ways to Avoid Burnout. I have been feeling a bit burnt out and overwhelmed lately, so this appeared at a good time; I am eager to read the rest of the book. And I look forward to getting back to the place in my work that Giacometti talks about above--that grand, unknowable, place. I hope I can find it again.

3 comments:

Borrego said...

Now I'm hungry, hehehehe. I love strwberries. And this blog seems appealing.

gayle said...

Thanks, Borrego! The strawberries always make me hungry, too...

Tujie said...

A similar expression, I believe, is one that I remember hearing my brother say when he turned 40. "The older I get, the dumber I get." Followed by my dad's quote "You never stop becoming who you are."