Thursday, August 09, 2007

I'm a big fan of the blog at Powells.com, and its ever-changing roster of guest-bloggers (usually authors with new books out.) I especially enjoyed today's post by Michelle Wildgen, The Thursday Pleasure Blog on Food and Sex. It has some great tips for writers, such as
For those of you who write, I suggest challenging whatever your inclination may be — if you always cut to the bedroom scene, stay in the living room. If you have a character remaining a little opaque to you, toss them in bed with someone. It may not make the final story, but you may find it extraordinarily helpful to know them in this way. Plus, a good sex scene that doesn't fall back on cliché is not an easy task. Similarly, what food do they eat when no one's watching? Sardines on toast, ice cream with peanut butter on top? What's their comfort food and what's their idea of culinary taboo?
I'm trying to get to know my new characters now, and this is very helpful advice to remember...

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Thank you so much for sharing this tip.

I could definitely use some of these tips for Sarah's sex scenes too.

Thanks again,
Rach