Sunday, July 09, 2006

Friday night, I took Hannah to an audition for Little Shop of Horrors. I fully intended to not audition. I fully intended to just sit back and enjoy watching the process. But somehow my friends at the studio convinced me to give it a go. You don't have to do the show, they reasoned. Just have fun with it tonight. And so, against my most rational judgement, I jumped in. The singing part felt a little scary--the singing style is very different from Annie Get Your Gun, and I am not a belter, as this show requires--but it was also exhilarating. And of course it felt good to dance.

Becky, my singing coach, came up to me afterwards and told me to let her know within the week if I am serious about not wanting a lead part (on the application, when it asked what part I was going for, I wrote "None"). I am going to have to call her and let her know I can't do the show at all, as tempting as it may be. I have a novel to write. I need to keep my focus strong. But, as she observed, I've caught the theater bug. She said that now that I've accessed that new wild part of myself, I won't be able to turn it off, and she's right. It will be interesting to see where it will take me next, once I'm done writing this current novel-in-progress (and once I'm done promoting Self Storage, which is also going to keep me busy for a while). Call backs for Little Shop are next Friday--I will take Hannah and watch her with pride, and will do my best to keep from jumping back into the fray myself...

3 comments:

Susan said...

Ha! Gayle, you are amaaaazing! Those words sound very familiar... "I did not intend to audition..." and look what happened. I have no doubt you would be AWESOME in LSOH but I also know you have a novel to write. Ah, such an overflowing bucket of talent you are.

Anonymous said...

Oh, man, that would be such a fun show to do! (You know that's Emi's absolute favorite show, right? She saw it on Broadway, here in town, and has the DVD, plus the original Broadway cast soundtrack as well as the most recent one -- it was quite a phase she went through...) But, yes, the novel -- back to work!

gayle said...

Thanks so much for your sweet words, Susan and Andi (and for that push toward my novel. I need it!)

xo
gayle