Friday, June 16, 2006

Annie Get Your Gun opens one week from today. I can't believe it. It still doesn't seem quite real to me. Because the show was postponed, there was always a far-off-in-the-distance sense to it, a never-quite-going-to-happen vibe. And now, amazingly, it's breathing down our necks. You would think that with all this extra time, the play would be tight and polished by now, but it's still sweetly ragged around the edges. We still haven't had a complete run-through yet, and there are a couple of scenes we still haven't fully blocked. Anyone expecting a slick, pro production will probably be disappointed. But anyone coming in hoping to have fun watching a ragtag community pulling together to put on a show should have a great time. I think it will be a hoot, even if there are moments where we have to feed each other our lines or stumble over our choreography.

I look back to my first rehearsal, how scared I was to sing in front of people, how my voice cracked and shook. I have not magically morphed into Bernadette Peters, but I am so much more comfortable using my voice now. I find myself singing everywhere I go--parking lots, grocery stores, etc.--and not caring if anyone hears me. This is a huge thing for a person who used to sing "Happy Birthday" so softly during parties, no one else in the room could hear me. I had a real break through in my voice lesson a couple of weeks ago--everything suddenly felt easier and stronger; I felt as if I finally understood what Becky (my wonderful teacher) had been saying about breath and chest voice and opening my throat, etc. It felt wonderful--very liberating and grounding at once. Of course, when I went to rehearsal that evening, all that progress flew out the window and I was back to my inconsistent vocal self. I don't feel like I have much control over my voice overall, but the moments of integration are happening more often now, much to my delight. We'll see what happens once I get on stage with a microphone strapped to my costume...

Here are the details again, if anyone wants to come witness my stage debut:

Annie Get Your Gun
Corona Civic Center Theater
815 W. 6th St., Corona
Friday, June 23rd, 8:15pm
Saturday, June 24th, 10:30 am and 2pm (all proceeds from the 2pm performance will benefit the Children Against AIDS Foundation)
Sunday, June 25th, 2:30pm and 6pm
$10 children, $12 adults

Hope to see you there. Yee haw!

No comments: