Friday, May 19, 2006

I am having so much fun teaching my Writing With the Senses class at the University of Redlands. My students are wonderful--very sweet and intelligent and curious. They are writing some gorgeous work. The time is just whizzing by--I can't believe we have only one more week of class. So far, we have explored Smell, Touch, and Taste, with our senses and on the page. Next week, we will be exploring Sound (culminating in a field trip to the Integratron, where we will indulge in a sound bath.) I wish we had time to explore Sight, too, but I figured that because we live in such a visual culture, sight is the easiest sense to write about, and I wanted to give the other senses their due. I am so glad I have this opportunity to tap into that inspiring, creative Johnston energy again. Being on campus, I keep running into ghosts of my younger self. So many memories on that quad, in that dorm...

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Sounds very fun indeed...

I remember taking the shorter version of that same course with you, at UCR, last year, and it really opened me up. The pointers I got from that class are the only thing that's keeping me from writing pure crap during my current writer's block (and Novel III class at UCLA).

A field trip to Integratron sounds pretty interesting! (Work will get me posted to 29 Palms soon, so I will be in the area during the summer.)

Good luck to your class!

gayle said...

Hi, Rachel! I'm so glad to hear that the UCR class is continuing to have an impact on your writing--thank you so much for letting me know. It was a real treat to have you in class.

Let me know if you do end up going to the Integratron! I will try to post a report after our trip.

xo
gayle