Tuesday, March 28, 2006


Today, as I was driving to a local high school to inquire about using their theater for our still-homeless production, I happened upon a bunch of students staging a walk-out. I have been so inspired to see how many people are taking to the streets to protest HR 4437, which would make it a felony to enter the US without authorization. The images of half a million people flooding downtown LA on Saturday thrilled me. I remember how moving and overwhelming it was to be surrounded by hundreds of thousands of people marching for peace in DC last fall. There is great power in numbers. In 1966, Martin Luther King, Jr. said "I'm still convinced there's nothing more powerful to dramatize a social evil than the tramp tramp of marching people." How heartening to see this happening in my community now, and to see young people leading the way.

2 comments:

landismom said...

Great photo, thanks for posting this. I remember that the day after 187 passed, the only thing that made the day survivable for me was that students at Mission High in San Francisco walked out of school and up the street in front of my office, chanting.

gayle said...

Thanks, landismom! I wish I could take credit for the photo, but I found it online on the local newspaper's website.

It is so exciting to see students take action, isn't it?! I'm getting ready to go teach a Family Voices workshop at a local high school this morning; I look forward to discussing the current issues with the kids...

xo
gayle