Monday, February 20, 2006


Last summer, Julie Kenner stopped by to promote her book Carpe Demon. Today, she's back with her new book, The Manolo Matrix. Reader to Reader Reviews says "This is a Wow! book that is exhilarating, non-stop (hey – you snooze you lose), sexy, and fun, fun, fun to read." I had the chance to ask Julie a few new questions this time around...

--What inspired The Manolo Matrix? What inspires you, in general?

Well, the book is a sequel, so part of the inspiration was built in and stemmed from the first book (I wanted to write a book -- a series, really -- wherein the characters had to solve a series of clues to stay one step ahead of the killer). This particular book, however, was inspired by my love of Broadway. In the world of my book, someone has started playing a computer game for real, with deadly consequences. The clues stem from a player's interests, and in this case, the clues stem from Broadway. I've been addicted to broadway musicals since I was in high school, and it was great fun pulling out bits and pieces to create clues to lead to specific locations!

As for what inspires me generally ... Well, that would be paying the mortgage!!!!

--Any words of advice for aspiring writers?

Write, write, write and read, read, read! Believe in yourself and don’t give up!

--What are you working on now?

At the moment, I’m finishing up my first young adult book — The Good Ghoul’s Guide to Getting Even (April 2007). After that, I turn back to THE PRADA PARADOX, the final book in the series that started with THE GIVENCHY CODE and continued with THE MANOLO MATRIX.

--Last time you visited, I asked you about the most demonic fruit you could think of. Now, I'm wondering what you would consider to be the most exciting fruit...

Hmmmm.... I don’t know it’s name. Yellow, hard rind. Kinda spikey. Exciting and adventurous. (And, kinda nasty tasting, imho. And in the opinion of my four year old!)

--I wonder if you mean the horned melon? It was among the treats my husband pulled together for my Valentine's Day cavalcade of fruit--it is definitely a strange and exciting one!

Thanks so much, Julie! Enjoy the rest of your tour!

No comments: