Monday, January 16, 2006

The literary world has been abuzz lately with the recent James Frey fray and the unmasking of JT Leroy . I'm enjoying following the trail of outrage and indignation in the wake of these revelations, and appreciate the important issues about authenticity and artifice in writing that are being raised, but somehow I haven't quite figured out how I feel about the whole mishegas. I think this could be because I have been preoccupied with lies that feel more pressing and dangerous--the blatant lies of our administration. If only the media could latch on to those lies with the same wolf-pack ferocity they've shown with these publishing scandals. Sure, it's compelling to watch literary bad-boys fall from grace (ah, the schaudenfraude), but there are bigger fish than Frey I want to fry.

3 comments:

M. Damian McNicholl said...

Good post, Gayle. I'm a bit annoyed Alito chose to forget his affiliation in CAP. According to Carlo Romano of the Philly Inquirer who wssd on Marty Coss Coane's npr show last week, this was not possible. He was in Princeton two years after Alito, knew of the alum org, and said one actively saught membership.

Donna D said...

Gayle,

Have you read "The Post Truth Era" by Ralph Keyes (also the author of "The Courage to Write," which I love)? I haven't yet, but I was talking with him about it before it came out. It sounds very interesting. Maybe it's time to pick up a copy...

By the way, I posted my new year's non-resolution blog entry today at http://www.sheeptoshawl.com/charity

Donna

gayle said...

Thanks so much for your comments, Damian and Donna!

I agree about Alito, Damian. The confirmation hearings were frustrating on so many levels. So much equivocation.

I haven't read The Post Truth Era, Donna--it sounds incredibly timely. I'll have to look for it (I love The Courage to Write, too.) Thank you so much for sharing the link to your wonderful non-resolution post (and thank you for advocating so beautifully for women and children)--very inspiring!