Wednesday, October 05, 2005

I stumbled upon a very cool site today: Bookpaths: Bringing together literature and place. A woman named Donna McIlvaine explores ways in which place makes itself known through the written word; she also explores other ways in which literature connects with the wider world. In her latest post, she includes a link to an article by Arthur Blaustein about creating a socially conscious reading group. (Arthur Blaustein is a lovely and amazing gentleman; he has dedicated his life to social justice, and helped Barbara Kingsolver create the Bellwether Prize. I had the pleasure of meeting him at one of my readings.)

I was delightfully surprised to find that Donna McIlvaine's bookpaths led her to The Book of Dead Birds. I am grateful for her thoughtful review, and her suggestions for further Salton Sea explorations. I look forward to spending more time on her site.

No comments: