Monday, October 24, 2005

I just came home from my class, where my students are doing such amazing work; between tonight and the fabulous Women's Gathering yesterday, it's been a very inspiring couple of days. I did my normal news-glance as soon as I got home, and was so sad to see that Rosa Parks died. I'm so grateful for her refusal to give up her seat in 1955; amazing how a simple act by a single human being can change the world in such a deep way.
"At the time I was arrested I had no idea it would turn into this," Mrs. Parks said 30 years later. "It was just a day like any other day. The only thing that made it significant was that the masses of the people joined in."
I know I keep saying this, but I need to keep drumming it into myself, drumming it into the world: we have so much power, both individually and collectively. Let's use it well.

Thank you, Rosa Parks. RIP.

No comments: