Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Cindy Sheehan's goodbye-to-Camp-Casey blog choked me up so much. In it, she reveals that "Sheehan is Gaelic for 'Peace' which I think is such a cool thing, and not a coincidence. Casey Sheehan's sacrifice will stand for peace forever." What a beautiful connection. She ends the blog with these words:

Tonight I will write to look back on the good times, less than good times and the miracles that occurred here in Crawford. But I want to thank one person for the best "vacation" and most amazing experience I have ever had: George Bush: Thank you George for not meeting with me on August 6 th and thank you for being the motivation for Camp Casey. I know you don't want Camp Casey to come to the place you reside between vacations, so I would suggest you bring our troops home immediately.

But most of all: thank you my son. Thank you for living the kind of life that inspires people to work for peace and justice. Thank you for choosing me to be your mom. Thank you for being the embodiment of love and thank you for being the inspiration for the Camp Casey movement. I promise you it won't end until all of your buddies are brought home. And I promise I will fight for your unborn nieces and nephews and the rest of the children of the world, so they won't be misused and abused by corrupt leadership like you and your buddies were.

I love you Casey.

Thank YOU, Cindy, for bringing so much love and strength and energy and momentum to the peace movement. You hear stories about mothers being able to lift cars off their children when they're in danger--how women are suddenly imbued with that surge of superhuman power. Well, you, with your supreme mother-power, have lifted the crushing sense of hopelessness off of the anti-war movement. You have given us a second chance, a new sense of hope and possibility. I will be forever grateful for your courage, and will continue to be inspired by your dedication to peace.

No comments: