Thursday, June 23, 2005


This sculpture, a thirty foot high desk and chair, was built by Giancarlo Neri as a "monument to the loneliness of the writer." It's a striking piece, to be sure--I'd love to see it in person--and writing can indeed be a lonely art, but I always like to remember that I am not indeed isolated in a giant field; I can look up and see other people pecking away at their work (at least in a symbolic way) while I'm pecking away at mine, and I can feel a sense of communion with them that mitigates any sense of loneliness. Yes, the work is done in solitude, but it is also done in community, and I love dipping in and out of both. I love how we can find that sort of community online, where it's easy to connect our desks to other desks, where our desks are no longer like islands, but bridges.

No comments: