Monday, April 18, 2005


Thanks to Howard Bilow for sending me this picture of my recent reading at Beyond Baroque (one of the greatest literary centers out there.) I think it's cool that I look so ghostly; I also appear to be standing on the Milky Way! Reading at Beyond Baroque is always sort of an out-of-body experience(the lights make it impossible to see anyone in the audience) so that's fitting. I was one of twelve poets reading that night from Mischief, Caprice & Other Poetic Strategies edited by Terry Wolverton. A wonderfully mischevious gathering of word people!

While I was there, I picked up a book published by Beyond Baroque--Oh Tongue by Simone Forti (more proof that I have a literary oral fixation!) When I was in college, I stole Simone Forti's Handbook in Motion from the library, despite my ethical qualms, because I was so worried I wouldn't be able to find it anywhere else (I still feel guilty having it on my shelves, even though I eventually paid the library for its absence. I'm glad to add another Simone Forti book to my collection--rightfully purchased this time!) Forti has a lot of interesting things to say about the play between movement and language. I need to play with movement again more--dancing the other night reminded me just how much I miss it.

No comments: