Wednesday, April 13, 2005


I talked about my literary oral fixation yesterday. I don't think anything in my work is quite as overt as this book cover, though! The author of Cooking to Hook Up, Ann Marie Michaels, will be my next visitor from the Girlfriend's Cyber Circuit later today.

For those new to the blog, the GCC is a collective of women writers, founded by the author Karin Gillespie. We tour one another's blogs, offering cross-promotional possibilities and support. I have to admit that many of the books that tour the GCC are not ones I would normally be drawn to--I am a bit of a literary fiction snob, and tend to shy away from Chick Lit, which many of the GCC authors write. I have found that my experience in the GCC has expanded my look at the book world, and has allowed me to connect with other writers. The writing world can be so lonely, and it's wonderful to find community and support one another in our writing quests (no matter what form our writing takes.)

Cooking for Hooking Up is a book that I probably wouldn't have picked up, despite the provocative cover, because it has the word "bachelor" in the title; I've been married for 15 years, and my husband knows the way to my heart, so I wouldn't have seen the need to have the book. But now I'm so glad I had a chance to look it over. I'ts great fun. And the authors even provide a cool quiz to see what "type" of girl you are (the book is filled with recipes geared to individual types of women.) The first time I took the quiz, I was labeled "Progressive Girl." This time, I'm labeled "Granola Girl" (which on a food level is a better fit, since all of the Granola Girl recipes are vegetarian!)


No comments: