Wednesday, February 02, 2005

I've been carrying around an idea in the back of my mind for a book that engages all of the senses, literally--kind of like a scratch and sniff book for grown ups, but with sound and taste and textures also woven in. A cd would appear on one page, and you'd have to listen to a certain song, for example, and a piece of candy would appear on another page and you'd have to eat it while reading a certain poem, etc.

I just read an article about a chef who prints pictures of food on edible paper with food based ink. He prints sushi flavored pictures of sushi, etc, which got me thinking...

Wouldn't it be cool to print Fruitflesh on edible paper with fruit flavored ink? You could read the exercise about the mango, for instance, and then pop it in your mouth and let the mango flavor coat your tongue. Of course, you'd be missing the texture of the mango, which is half the fun, but it would be so cool to make an edible book. Books and food--two of my favorite things! One of these years, I swear I'm going to create something for the Edible Book Festival...

No comments: