Saturday, January 08, 2005

My friend Donna introduced me to a new fruit Friday morning--jujubes! (not to be confused with this type of jujube.) They are also called dried Chinese dates, but they are not very date-like. They are the size of small plums, brick red and wrinkly. They look like they would have a plum-like heft, too, but they are surprisingly light. The inside is tan and spongy, almost like a soft wood fiber. The flavor is sweet and a bit musty, like candy from an attic. The farmer at the market said jujubes make good tea, boiled down.

Donna also brought me to an African dance class. It felt so good to get my body moving! I've been trying to figure out how to reincorporate dance into my life, and this seems a great way to do it.

Dance and a new fruit--an excellent day, indeed.

No comments: