Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Well, I am just heart-sick over this election. I am also sinus-sick, and stomach-sick and pretty much all-around sick (I can thank free-floating viruses for that, but I'm sure all the free-floating anxiety over the election helped ease their way in.) I still can't believe it.

I've been meaning to post something about how I am quoted in the latest Poets & Writers Magazine (which, by the way, is one of the most important resources for writers. If you're a writer and you don't subscribe yet, I urge you to do so.) My quote appears in the article "How to Choose a Writing Program." I said "One of the most important things I learned at Antioch is that we should move toward what makes us uncomfortable. That's usually where the real juice is." I was speaking about writing subjects, but I realize this can apply to the election, as well.

This election is making me pretty damned uncomfortable. And I want to juice that for all it's worth. Rather than sink into depression and despair, I want to use these roiling feelings and do something positive with them. It is so important that we continue to make our voices heard. I've been so heartened by the ways in which the progressive movement has mobilized over the last few months. We have to continue; we have to keep moving, keep acting, keep making sure the voice of dissent is loud and clear across our beautiful nation. I have a feeling we'll have a lot to speak out against over these next four years. We have to keep speaking and singing and shouting and writing. Our words have power. Let's use them well.

No comments: