Thursday, October 21, 2004

I have work in three new anthologies:

The Knitter's Gift, edited by my friend Bernadette Murphy. I am not a knitter, but wrote a poem, "When You Knit My Sweater", for the collection. Several friends are also in the collection, including the recent mentioned Peggy Hong!

Peggy, and the also-recently-mentioned Sefi Atta, appear with me in the anthology Roar Softly and Carry a Great Lipstick: 28 Women Writers on Life, Sex, and Survival. Peggy and Sefi's essays are amazing. My essay, "The Sick Girl", is one of the most naked things I have ever written. It is a little scary to look at it now, but it's cathartic to put it out there.

My thigh book proposal is currently making the rounds (I got three very nice rejections last week), so it is cool that If Women Ruled the World: How to Create the World We Want to Live In, Stories, Ideas and Inspiration for Change was just released. The book contains my little essay about how if women ruled the world, all of us would love our thighs. Hopefully it will put some good thigh karma into the world (and into the hearts of the editors considering my proposal!) I will be reading from it, along with Dominique McCafferty (a local author also represented in the book), at the Frugal Frigate Wednesday, November 17 at 7pm. We will open the room up for a discussion about women and power; I'm very much looking forward to it.

No comments: