Sunday, September 12, 2004

I have some very cool events coming up this Fall. Hope to see you at some of them!

Here's the rundown (for now! Keep posted--I have a few other irons in the fire...)

Friday and Saturday, October 1-2, I will be teaching two workshops at the Southern California Writers Conference in Pasadena (Embodying Our Characters and Writing from the Senses).

Sunday, October 3, I will be on a panel, Women Authors on Igniting the Writer Within at the West Hollywood Book Fair (the other panelists will be Nina Revoyr, Barbara Seranella, and Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez, with the wonderful Barbara DeMarco-Barrett as moderator.) The panel is scheduled from 3-4pm.

Friday, October 8, six of my short stories are going to be staged by the New Short Fiction Series at the Beverly Hills Library. I am so excited about this. When I wrote these stories, I never in a million years imagined I would get to see them performed (and by Emmy winning actors, no less!) Tickets are a $10 donation. The box office opens at 7:30; the show begins at 8.

I am also very excited about my event the next day, Saturday, October 9 at 9pm. I will be reading at a MoveOn benefit held at the Blue Bongo bar (Little Pedros), 901 East First Street, Los Angeles, 90012. There is a $10 cover (every penny will go to to MoveOn.) I will be reading with a group of incredible authors--Josh Bearman, Craig Clevenger, Darcy Cosper, Wendy Dale, Meghan Daum, and Stephen Elliott. I deeply deeply admire what MoveOn is doing, and am so happy to lend my voice to their cause.

Sunday, November 14, I will be teaching a Fruitflesh workshop at the new Dutton's Beverly Hills Bookstore at 2pm. I adore the Dutton's Brentwood store and am eager to see their new space.

Wednesday, November 17th at 7pm, I will be hosting a reading and discussion at my favorite bookstore in the world, The Frugal Frigate in Redlands, to celebrate the release of the anthology If Women Ruled the World. Local writer Dominique McCafferty, who also appears in the anthology, will appear, as well. I'm sure a wonderful and important discussion about women and power will be sparked.

Sunday, November 21 will be an especially amazing evening. I am going to be hosting a special Fruitflesh feast in collaboration with the Frugal Frigate, and the Farm Restaurant (a gem of a place in Redlands dedicated to using local naturally grown produce and artisan products—cheeses, olives, bread, etc. Sublime!) The chef, Roberto Argentina, is going to prepare a luscious five course dinner, with each course focusing on a different one of the senses. I will offer Fruitflesh exercises and meditations with each course. The cost of the dinner (to be announced) will include a copy of Fruitflesh and will benefit the wonderful Shakespeare for Children program (my daughter was in this year's production of A Midsummer Night's Dream; it was utterly magical. I know this night will be, as well.) Seating is limited and by reservation only. To reserve a spot, or for more information, please call the Frugal Frigate at 909.793.0740.

Hope to see you along the way!


No comments: