Monday, August 16, 2004

Even though I am no longer writing about birds (at least for now), I still find myself hording avian articles and information, creating my own mini book of live/dead birds. Here are a couple of intriguing pieces I've come across recently:

Lights-Out Policies in Cities Save Migrating Birds.

Diving Pelicans Plague Arizona Streets.

I continue to be fascinated by the Salton Sea as well. For updates on the area, you can visit the The Salton Sea Authority.

For an artistic view of the Salton Sea, you can visit Kim Stringfellow's wonderful interactive piece, Greetings from the Salton Sea. I had the pleasure of reading from The Book of Dead Birds at one of Kim's gallery openings. Her images and my words worked so well together. I hope we'll be able to do similar events in the future. And I can't wait to see the recent documentary Plagues and Pleasures on the Salton Sea.

Some day, I would love to host a Salton Sea festival exploring the region through an environmental, literary, and artistic lens. It is such a fascinating landscape.

No comments: